The Naked Emperor

21 October 2007

Shooting Redeux

Well it happened again, about 45 minutes ago. Another shooting here in glorious New Orleans.

Yes, we did kill 3 in 5 hours earlier today. But I don't care about that. I care about the one that happened near me.

I had just settled down to read a bit of "Dreadnought". Two inpatients doing well, nothing on the horizon. I heard multiple shots from different weapons. I was pulling my shoes on and grabbing my sidearm even before my head tech hit the panic button.

On the way up to the front of the clinic, I cut the lights to be a harder target. As I got up front, I saw numerous vehicles maneuvering out of the parking lot at high speed. I cautiously exited with weapon drawn. The JP Deputies were maybe 15 seconds later entering the parking lot. Can't say enough good about those boys (and girls)!

The shooters did better this time. They left about 14 or 15 shell casings. They also shot through the Hookah Cafe's window. I had the privelege, or maybe just desire to find the spent bullet. And the cops say somebody got shot in the ass who fled. He also had a shotgun in his car.

So much for reporting. Meanings?

It isn't good when your 21 year old tech is calmly hitting the floor and simultaneously dialing 911. Just routine.

It isn't good when you are not only practiced but experienced in responding to shots fired. I'm not in Fallujah or Baghdad. They're more peaceful now. No, I'm in Gretna. I'm sure that most Iraqi cities similar in size to New Orleans have lower homicide rates.

It isn't good when you commonly wear a sidearm to practice medicine on Saturday nights.

We used to joke about the emergency game causing "combat blunted sensibilities". I didn't know it would become literal.

If you know someone in Tangipahoa Parish who has pets, convince them they need a housecall vet.

Save a vet. Have a housecall.

With frustration,

The Naked, and well armed Emperor.

4 Comments:

At October 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is something that will cheer you up:
1st quarter total violent crime stats for the city of New Orleans (2006 vs 2007) 354 vs 753.That is a 107% change! The population in the City of New Orleans was significantly reduced during the first quarter of 2006 as compared to the population of the City during the first quarter of 2007.

For once the politicians are right man, be happy!
NEW ORLEANS IS COMING BACK BABY!

 
At January 2, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Um, some of us miss your blogs. Get on it!

 
At January 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Blogger .....CLIFFORD said...

Yeah! What Courtenay said.

Or, do I have to let those pictures surface of you during vet school? You know, the "animal husbandry" ones? I'll do to, too. So quit just reading my stuff and get to writing, bro!

 
At January 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Blogger darren smith said...

maybe you should re-name this one "The Emperor's New Clothes"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home